Saturday, November 28, 2009

Play it again Sammy!



Todays topic: The Sandwich -- Definition... A sandwich is a food item consisting of two or more slices of bread with one or more fillings between them, or one slice of bread with a topping or toppings on top of the bread could be considered an "open-faced"

Mike made my lunch today! He asked if I'd like a sandwich. I of course would LOVE one! (I was very busy decorating the Christmas tree and Knitting!!)

He asked if I wanted: Turkey, Roast beef or Bologna? - I chose Bologna - then he asked if I wanted American Cheese or Provolone... I thought about it and chose American.. if you're doing bologna you should make it as trashy as you can.


Growing up I thought eating bologna was no big deal and in fact my mother made something called Bologna-spread for my dad too when I was younger. It was like a tuna salad concept but had bologna as the meat substance. then spread with cheese on open faced pieces of bread. Usually a weekend lunch item eaten during breaks from his yard work.

As I grew friends of mine were the cute little girls on carts at the golf course selling refreshments - Burritos and sandwiches and drinks - but they told me they felt so shy to tell the guys they even had bologna sandwiches as a choice for them. ??? I Don't know why? I told them I love me some bologna (Do they have bologna in every country? or is this a USA thing?) and they laughed at me for being an adult and eating a "child's sandwich"

They said that only kids eat that stuff. I was so confused -

But now the more pressing question is... what is your favorite way of saying Sandwich? Do you say it as spelled? Traditional? Or do you find you're more often saying it as Sammy? Or Sam-witch? Or Sangwich? I like SANGwich! It's fun to say!! SAAAAANGWICH!!!!

Now I'm hungry. Why don't was spell the word Bologna like this : Boloney? since that's how we say it? So may questions.

2 comments:

The Mutant said...

Bologna is like a compressed, manufactured meat, right? We have it in Aus, but depending on what state you live in its called Fritz or Devon and makes wicked toasted sandwiches with cheese and tomato sauce.

Oh, and I call em 'sangas' probably another Aussie thing.

Freddyeyes said...

Right Kezzy mc hottieton! That sounds right ... it's got many names there? and Sangas... OH I hope there are more names like this I LOVE it I'm sharing your info immediately with those I have sitting by me at work and maybe a caller who's got an emergency - it might make their day better thank you mister!!! Love!