Thursday, July 30, 2009

No, Seriously... Make it gay!

So I've mentioned in earlier blogs that my partner Mike and I are in search of a "Gay-related" gift for the little girl who is coming home to our friends (Her new adoptive parents)! Well the date is getting closer and I've had my head FULL of possible ideas.. something as random as getting her dolls from "Rainbow Brite" or "Care Bears" line of toys. I am going to be sewing some clothing items for her too and thought I'd use a rainbow style pattern as well to add some "flare". HAHA

Then I met with the soon-to-be-parents (and friends of ours) the other night and we discussed some books I'd heard about but not read for children about being "different" than the rest. Similar to how smaller kids who may later identify as gay would appear out in the world today. Teaching acceptance and tolerance... teaching care and love for all.

I couldn't find them but Facebook came through - Found the title of a duck involved book thanks in HUGS part to the help of Kez in Australia... (The Mutton Chopped Mutant!) And it's called "The Sissy Duckling" by Harvey Fierstein!!! ... another friend of mine known as D helped, he located a book telling a tale of same sex love between real life Penguins who live at the Central Park Zoo in NYC. The title for this book: "And Tango Makes Three" - looks so good - Well when I am at work I wanted to order these books but don't have access on the computer... so I asked my supervisor to do it for me! HAHAHA! She did! then as a suggestion through Amazon since I ordered BOTH books for the party... it offered yet a THIRD book called "A Different Dragon" I'm so psyched - I had them rush delivered to ensure they're here on time... I may also have to give one to another special little girl who's birthday is coming up. Sharing the big gay wealth in literature!

In addition to these wonderful and glamorous books... (Which I'm being told there are even MORE! See: "The Boy Who Cried FABULOUS!") We thought up some cool ideas and we also decided to get two KEN Dolls from the barbie line of dolls! One in a Tuxedo with Black hair (We wanted to get two in a tux but they only marry off the black haired Kens I guess and didn't want to introduce sibling relationships or anything odd with twins you know!? ) We decided the other doll would be a "Surfer Ken Doll" with blond hair, some shorts, a t shirt and surf board - then we got an outfit as an alternative but it's like a Sweater vest with a red shirt underneath - and some khaki shorts - like he's going to play tennis. So they can mix and match with one another outfits...

Well Here's the kicker... Mike and I went to a store that's KNOWN to be busy and when we do... we usually go all the way behind the store to avoid the front of the store foot and car traffic... (trying to find parking and not hit people is so troublesome some times ya know!? ) and we park on the very back side of the building - it's got like ten parking spots and is used mainly for automotive needs. BUT It has it's own side/back entrance... and it has it's own registers which are seldom used and almost never have a line!!!

BUT picture this.. Jerrod & Mike at the register that is being manned by a checkout guy/mechanic who's covered in auto grease head to toe & he's missing some teeth... in our shopping basket... a bottle of carpet cleaner, 2 ken dolls and one Ken sized change of "gay mens tennis sweater vest outfit" to buy ...

"Who? Us? Gay? NOOOOOO!?!!!!!!!"

Needless to say we kind of hurried on our merry little way after the transaction was done! But we gt the dolls! Wahooooooo! And the books are ordered



2 comments:

The Mutant said...

I'm so excited that it's all coming together for you! I always wanted two Ken dolls to play with when I was a little boy, but all I had was two Sindy dolls (think British Barbie) who both had no hands but became super awesome lesbian friends.

In later years I got a GI Joe and he got to cruise for guys driving around in a Benz convertible in his cammo gear. Sometimes the Lesbian Sindys would come too and they'd go for picnics or go shopping.

Oh, crap. I think I've said too much. Don't forget to show us the outfits when you've got them all sewn up!

Mike "N" the Mechanics said...

And this is why I love you.