Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Ol' "Switch-a-roo"



I live in a 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom house that I share with my younger sister Mandi (29) my daughter Shayla (13), my boyfriend Mike and we have a mini wiener dog named Lunar. The house is only about a mile away from where my mother lives and just 4 miles from the house I lived in as a kid.

Well when we moved in originally I needed my sister to be my room mate and was hoping she'd give in since I couldn't afford to rent the house on my own but knew we'd be great room mates. She actually saw the house we ended up renting and fell in love with it. The price, size and location were all just right so we checked it out and decided to go for it. Deal was that my sister and my daughter could have the two upstairs rooms and I would have the smaller downstairs room. We'd share the two living rooms and the kitchen was lacking in storage space but would do well for us all size-wise.

We've now been there for just over two years and it's still a cute house and it's served us well.

My room though was small. The closet was the smallest closet I've seen and I had to utilize shelves as clothing storage in addition to my huge dresser (which I got from Stevie a number of years back! Thanks Stevie! Remember showing the kids the secret hiding place for such things as bags of "nails"?!) and the small closet itself was jammed full of hanging clothes.

When it became apparent that Mike would be moving in with us my sister made the comment that she'd switch rooms with us. She had the the master bedroom. Not only did it have an entire wall of closet space. It also had the entrance for the bathroom and shower from within the room. AND it's a larger space! PERFECT!

We've been planning to switch rooms for months! At one point my sister and I planned to swap rooms prior to Mikes move so it'd be done. Then we planned to do the swap while he was in town. THEN we decided that we'd need to wait until we had time to do it right. No "half-assing" it.

We did it this last weekend and it went pretty well. Mandi's new smaller room is only part of the transition. On the same level of her new room is her bathroom complete with shower, and also a small family room with the laundry closet stocked with full sized side-by-side washer and dryer. So she's been VERY excited about moving down there. She plans to use the spare family room as her crafts room. It's pretty open to the rest of the house but it's a nice place where she can arrange the flowers when she's being the florist for weddings or holidays or school dances. She can do her sewing and crafts down there but mainly it gives her a nice space with good light for painting. Mandi's been doing painting for years. She was the featured artist even at a small down town sandwich shop in Denver for a month. She also donated work for our art auction hosted by our friend Carl as a fundraiser for my daughters Australia trip.

All in all we'll all benefit from the move in so many ways.... well, maybe except for Mandi's loss of sleep.

See, now she's directly below us. That's right. Our bed and Mandi's bed are only separated by the floor. So night before last I realized in the heat of the moment (Now I'll be singing that all day! This is the heat of the moment...) that my bed is friggen noisy. We'd made sure when Mike was piecing it together that it would not hit the wall. But what we didn't notice so much in past adventures was that the springs creak and moan and the bed frame itself can be forced to moan and creak.
We try to be quiet... but....

... not always easy!



Laughing DURING a session of hot love (LOL) is normal anyway because sex is fun and entertaining a lot of the time. But I was chuckling because I felt bad that my poor sister was down there rethinking the move.

I hope she's REALLY glad about her new craft area! And easier access to her bathroom and the new chandeliers we worked together to hang.... Which she says do not swing from the ceiling when those odd noises were being made!

Poor girl! HAHA! I think we're getting a new bed here pretty soon. I think Mandi might be starting a tradition of sleeping with her radio on. And Maybe ear plugs.

1 comment:

The Mutant said...

Ooh, awkward much? I'm in a similar situation with my sister's room next door, but thankfully there is a closed in fire place to insulate the noise, of course with a creaky bed and wooden floors that doesn't mask everything but even if she has heard me she's polite enough to say nothing, and I do try to be quiet - I really do!